So, you may know that I've been working on collecting the biggest raw list of sustainable stocks on the internet...
While I'm not sure we're there yet, the list you'll find at the bottom of this blog space (My Big List of Green Stocks) already contains more than 400 companies... and every one of them has been vetted by a major financial concern as a green or sustainable company.
My goal is to put together the 1,000 top sustainable companies on the planet to create a truly global, green index that we can track... I think we'll call it the Global Green 1000 Index.
My Big List Is a Start... Can You Help Me Finish?
My Big List is a very rough beginning, because many of the companies on the list will have to come off.
I will screen out old-thought oil producers such as Schlumberger... and probably knock out the booze producers as well.
Not that I have any problem with drinking, per se... Just because booze can and does destroy a lot of lives, and part of the inspiration I had in that big old redwood forest last year told me to avoid these kinds of companies.
Same will probably go for tobacco companies.
A Confession: I Have Beer in My Fridge... And Cigars in My Humidor!
This is a funny question, however, because we have beer in our refrigerator right now, and I have a humidor containing some long, sweet-smelling products that are definitely derived from sot weed (the Partagas Sabrosso 1845's are pretty good by the way, and not expensive).
The question is: How GREEN am I going to be when it comes to my investments? Will we look at green criteria first, and stick only with companies that provide wind, solar and biomass energy... or natural food companies that don't transport their products via internal-combustion-fueled vehicles?
I rather think not.
We Should Put Gains First... Then Screen for Green
Instead, I believe we should seek maximum gains first from a company, and then screen it for our green criteria... criteria which, I must admit, are still being formulated in my mind.
So how green will our portfolio be? And how green will our Global Green 1000 Index be?
More will be revealed...
However, I think it's safe to say that we want to look at profitability first... then weed out the truly dark operations in the booze, oil and tobacco industries. I am not making any final pronouncements here.
So How Green Is YOUR Portfolio? And Your Lifestyle?
But what do YOU think? I would love to hear from YOU on this question: What should the criteria be for our Global Green 1000 Index? Heck, we're inventing the thing, so we can make it whatever we want.
I don't often hear from readers of this blog, but it would be nice to start...
Is Coke Really a Green Company?
I encourage you to send in your ideas, your personal thoughts about green investing... and if you think there are any companies that should NEVER be considered... If so, let me know what you think.
Meanwhile, check out My Big List of Green Stocks, which I've cleaned up and edited this morning. You'll see there that many companies might not be your typical green plays, but should we consider them anyway?
Can companies such as Coca-Cola, Nike or Schlumberger really be considered acceptable as sustainable investments? What do you think?
Sunday, October 14, 2007
- Become a Brazilian Ethanol Venture Capitalist for ...
- The Big Oil Swoon Cometh? Whaddya Think?
- Green Energy Resources Rallys 12.5%... And Keeps t...
- WMI Hit Hard After Earnings Announcement
- Update On Our Oil Prediction
- A Note About Over the Counter Stocks and Green Inv...
- Our Green Investments Portfolio: Up 266%... Includ...
- Green Energy Resources Scores $5.5 Million Contrac...
- Beating the S&P 500 by 2,000%... with ONLY Green I...
- Our Green Energy Resources Position Jumps 18.75%
- Tom Brady IPO... The Coming Stock Rally... Oil Loo...
- Markets Meltdown... WMI Rallies... Plus 6 Steps to...
- Add Waste Management (WMI) to the Evergreen Portfo...
- Our New Pick Is Coming Soon
- Our Green Energy Resources Play Jumps 11%!
- Our D1 Oils (Jatropha) Play Jumps 21%
- Yingli Green Energy: The Hottest Green Energy Stoc...
- Ugly Markets... Gay Budgies... And Green Investmen...
- This Thursday, Oct. 18, I Reveal... "The Dirtiest ...
- Please Give Me Your Ideas for Our New Global Green...
- Our Bunge Play Is Up 46.23%... Lock In Profits Usi...
- D1 Oils: The Only Pure Jatropha Stock in the World...
- Sell BG Options and Lock in 10% Gains in 8 Hours!
- Bunge Trips... As Expected
- New Recommendation: Bunge April 2008 Call Options
- LDK Solar Bounds 19%... Glad We Sold It!
- Correction: Professional Money Managers Are Even W...
- Random Walk Down Green Investment Street
- The Best of 4 Cleantech Indexes
- Green Investments and the "Tipping Point" of the M...
- Why We Use Trailing Stops
- Add D1 Oils to Our Portfolio at $4.15
- LDK Stops Out at $53.28... Hands Us 95.88% Gain
- Why Big Retailers Are Going Green
- New Recommendation: PZD
- Green Investment Highlight: Kookmin Bank
- ▼ October (36)