Let's face reality.
Green investing is not mainstream... yet.
This proposition - that now is the time to begin a dynamic, purposeful, long-term shift to new energy - is still very much in the balance.
We don't know for sure whether the sea change we need in the mindset of the world's corporate decision makers will take hold.
Of course, anyone with common sense can understand the benefits of moving toward more sustainable businesses involved in solar, recycling, efficiency, clean water, biofuels and the like... and away from crude oil, cigarette makers and the military-industrial establishment.
As long as we use oil at our current rate, we'll be beholden to dictatorships in the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia... which could be worse than Iran when it comes to human rights... and certainly in terms of the number of screaming maniacs it put on the 9/11 planes (actually, I don't believe there was a single Iranian involved, was there?).
Green Investments: An Effort to Change the Way Humans Think
The point here is that this is an effort to change the way human beings think. There's nothing automatic about it. The Dark Ages would have continued forever were it not for advances in technology, art, philosophy and political freedoms.
In a way, we have been in a crude-oil-and-coal-fueled dark age in terms of energy production and consumption patterns, and it is costing us.
Not only with polluted rivers and streams... smog... cancer... and all the rest... but in terms of opportunity costs...
The longer we continue whistling in the dark, the further behind we'll be left by competitors such as China, India and Europe.
Already, Europe is way ahead of the U.S. in terms of developing wind infrastructure.
Already China is pulling ahead of us in terms of solar-panel production, jatropha cultivation and wind production.
The time to begin developing an alternative-energy infrastructure in the U.S. is right now, and the government needs to get behind it full-force... not merely through setting standards, but by pouring money into this nationwide project.
(Just as importantly, we can help our friends and family to understand the urgency of the situation as well.)
Green Energy Could Create 3 Million New Jobs
Another reason to do so: jobs.
As pointed out in a recent article on CNN/Money, some 3 million new jobs could emerge over the next 12 years or so as a direct result of our shift toward green energy such as solar panel production and installation.
These are jobs that aren't going to be exported to China and other places either.
Unless, of course, they're already so far ahead of us that it will make no sense to develop these new technologies and products here in the U.S. going forward.
Fact is, it is possible for us to lose the battle against retro energy very slowly, over the course of years or even decades.
In order to avoid this, we need a "tipping point" of the mind whereby all sensible people - including those at the heads of industry and politics - finally agree that a shift in inevitable... and that the only question is: how can we accomplish it quickly enough to make a difference for the next generation?
Sunday, October 7, 2007
- Become a Brazilian Ethanol Venture Capitalist for ...
- The Big Oil Swoon Cometh? Whaddya Think?
- Green Energy Resources Rallys 12.5%... And Keeps t...
- WMI Hit Hard After Earnings Announcement
- Update On Our Oil Prediction
- A Note About Over the Counter Stocks and Green Inv...
- Our Green Investments Portfolio: Up 266%... Includ...
- Green Energy Resources Scores $5.5 Million Contrac...
- Beating the S&P 500 by 2,000%... with ONLY Green I...
- Our Green Energy Resources Position Jumps 18.75%
- Tom Brady IPO... The Coming Stock Rally... Oil Loo...
- Markets Meltdown... WMI Rallies... Plus 6 Steps to...
- Add Waste Management (WMI) to the Evergreen Portfo...
- Our New Pick Is Coming Soon
- Our Green Energy Resources Play Jumps 11%!
- Our D1 Oils (Jatropha) Play Jumps 21%
- Yingli Green Energy: The Hottest Green Energy Stoc...
- Ugly Markets... Gay Budgies... And Green Investmen...
- This Thursday, Oct. 18, I Reveal... "The Dirtiest ...
- Please Give Me Your Ideas for Our New Global Green...
- Our Bunge Play Is Up 46.23%... Lock In Profits Usi...
- D1 Oils: The Only Pure Jatropha Stock in the World...
- Sell BG Options and Lock in 10% Gains in 8 Hours!
- Bunge Trips... As Expected
- New Recommendation: Bunge April 2008 Call Options
- LDK Solar Bounds 19%... Glad We Sold It!
- Correction: Professional Money Managers Are Even W...
- Random Walk Down Green Investment Street
- The Best of 4 Cleantech Indexes
- Green Investments and the "Tipping Point" of the M...
- Why We Use Trailing Stops
- Add D1 Oils to Our Portfolio at $4.15
- LDK Stops Out at $53.28... Hands Us 95.88% Gain
- Why Big Retailers Are Going Green
- New Recommendation: PZD
- Green Investment Highlight: Kookmin Bank
- ▼ October (36)